Thursday, May 17, 2018

WOLLEMI NP - NEWNES - HIKES - 11 MAY 2018

10 MAY 2018

I drove from Dunn Swamp to Newnes after a morning kayak.

The drive was very pleasant along quiet country roads. I turned off onto the Wolgan Road and after awhile the road twisted and turned steeply down the cliff face to the base of the valley. There was a nice sign ' don't stop falling rocks'!

The Wolgan Valley is pretty flanked by sheer cliffs in many parts.

At the end of the road is the Newnes campground. It is huge with only two toilets. No worries there wasn't many people there. I pulled up and picked a spot just above the Wolgan River. Such a nice view of the river (not much water) and the cliffs surrounding the opposite side of the camp area.



After lunch, I walked the Industrial Ruins Track. It was an easy track being mainly on a disused railway trail. The start was on a turn off on the left crossing the Wolgan River. The highlights were: the river crossing, the ruins - coke ovens, old house remains, machinery, walls, buildings and the tranquility of the bush. The ruins are about hundred years old and it was amazing to see large trees had grown in the ruins of industry and homesteads.







There were a number of pretty campsites on this side of the river accessible for walk in camping or four-wheeled drive cars. I took a short cut through one site and followed a very obscured track and managed to come out in a shallow water section of the river just near my campsite. Bush skills are improving ha ha, maybe.



The hike could have been done easily by mountain bike either all the way or locked up at the entrance sign.

Back at camp, I prepared dinner and along came the visitors. The large deadish tree in front of me was swooped upon by heaps and heaps of magpies and currawongs. There was a frenzy of activity then all went quiet and they sat and watched me. I had deja vu of the kookaburra thieves. Beware brother, beware! I am glad to report there were no incidences. :)



11 MAY 2018

Another cold night and morning with some rain.

Eventually, I got out from under the doona, made a cup of tea and watched the kangaroos grazing around the campground in the misty morning.





It was cold so I rugged up and had a hike to Petries Gully and surroundings. I followed two tracks so I wasn't sure of where I was but I had a fun time walking the tracks and trail blazing. The highlights were: the homestead ruins of mainly fireplaces, the tracks when they became rough and narrow, a group of maple trees and their yellowed leaves covering the track and a trail blaze down a steep hill then a bush bash back to the track.










A great hike which was mountain bike doable.

Back at the camp, I packed and drove to Lithgow for a cappuccino in the Tinshed Cafe. It as cold outside so it was nice sitting near the open fireplace.

The drive back home was okay with little traffic most of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...