Monday, November 27, 2017

MUNMORAH BEACHES - OLNEY SF HIKE/MTB - HEATON, HUNTER AND MACLEANS LOOKOUT - 26 NOVEMBER 2017

25 November 2017

I drove over to Avoca Point to catch up with my old mates one more time. It was another great catch up with some drama the night before involving attempted strangulation ... ah boys will be boys even at 60+.

I had a swim at Avoca Beach then headed home for a nap before Jacinta and I set off for a night camp at Munmorah SCA.

At Munmorah, we unfortunately discovered that the camping area was full. We headed down to Red Ochre Beach and had a few swims and a sit in the sun.


Next, we tried the small camp area at Frazer Park but that was also full. We had lunch and decided to head to The Pines Camping Area at Olney State Forest about an hour drive away.



A good decision. We parked between a couple of tall pines and settled in for the evening - reading and having dinner with a few beers and wine.


26 November 2017

We had parked the van on a slight angle so I spent most of the night rolling. Not the best sleep.
When we woke, Jacinta and I had a bush hike along the tracks near the camping area. A great hike as I did this one a few weeks ago on my own so I knew where I was going. There are a lot of tracks leading in a number of directions in this area so it can become very confusing. On this hike we walked in the opposite direction to my last hike.






After the hike, we had breakfast and then I went for a mountain bike ride. I don't know the names of the tracks but I had a fun time exploring and testing myself. Most of the tracks had been highly eroded by dirt bikes so it was a challenging ride with unexpected obstacles.  I found the start of the Abbots Falls Track which I rode part way but will do more on another occasion as I didn't have a map and the ride was going to be long.



Back at the camp, we packed and then hit the road for a number of lookouts located on the dirt roads. the first was Heaton Lookout with a vista across the east to the ocean. It looked like a future camp spot as there was two walks in the area.




The next lookouts were Macleans and Hunter. They both were great views looking out over the valleys to the west. the road on this section was relatively flat and a track ran sort of parallel.  A possible mountain bike ride on a future trip.







We had lunch then drove back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...