Friday, October 13, 2017

SYDNEY, COOKS RIVER KAYAK - 11 OCTOBER 2017


At Sydney again so I decided on a kayak along a part of Cooks River and Wolli Creek.


It was a bit difficult finding a place to launch. The place I had picked was actually fenced off from the water. I drove about a kilometre along the river before I came to a parking area near the water. I had to carry the kayak a short distance and launch down some slippery stairs .


I was on the water and paddled along Cooks River which was fringed with river mangroves. There were a number of birds in spots and heaps of bridges to go under.  The traffic carried by the bridges varied from trains, pedestrians, cars to oil pipelines.



Eventually, I reached the convergence of Wolli Creek and paddled along it. 
It was fringed by mangroves in parts and weeds in others but it was surprisingly pretty. 
There were a lot of fish jumping about and a lot of cormorants looking for a feed.


There were a number of industrial and highrise buildings on the eastern shore. On the western shore, there were mangroves and other trees, parklands and a rocky hillside.
The creek ended at a concrete weir.


It was an unusual kayak and worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...