Sunday, May 7, 2017

AVOCA LAGOON KAYAK - 5 MAY 2017

A sunny morning.

I had a kayak at Avoca Lagoon.


It was one of those magic mornings when the birds were out and about. The swamp hens were feeding in the long grasses with their heads becoming visible every now and then. The ducks were sitting on the shore or adding through the water slowly. A number of other birds were flying in flock formations high above.





One noticeable thing was a smell. Not unpleasant but hard to identify. As I got closer to one end of the lagoon the smell became distinctive - bats. I know there is a bat colony there but this is the strongest the smell has ever been - must be the prevailing wind. Anyway, the bats were active. flying from roost to roost, feeding their young and fussing about. I was pretty mesmerized watching them for ages.



A nice 5.2 km kayak.



No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...