Tuesday, November 29, 2016

PATONGA CREEK KAYAK - 29 NOVEMBER 2016

The weather was looking unsettled but probably no rain.

I checked the surf at Wamberal Beach then decided on a kayak.


I drove to Patonga and launched the kayak from a 3 metre beach at the end of Jacaranda Ave.


I paddled over to the mangroves and as the tide was high I was able to play amongst the mangrove trees. A pretty obstacle course.


It was a fairly easy paddle as the tide was going higher and so at times, I just drifted with the current, laid back and tangled the feet over the edge.


There were a number of oyster farms on the creek which meant keeping close to the shore.

Eventually, I reached the narrowing of Patonga Creek. At this point, the creek is about 5 metres wide with lots of overhanging branches and shallow sandbars. personally, I like it when it becomes narrow as what lies ahead is out of sight making it more of an adventure.

Towards the end, I beached the kayak to have a wander around a 'fishing hut'. The spot would make for a great overnight camp. there were also a few tracks meandering off. I followed one for a short while into a rainforest area. Pretty!


Time to end back. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to get back so I spent the hour and a quarter paddling hard and constant against the tide and the wind. I was pretty tired but I made it with 5 minutes to spare.


A fun and adventurous 8.51km kayak

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...