Thursday, May 19, 2016

PELICAN ISLAND AND THE ENTRANCE CHANNEL KAYAK - 16 MAY 2016



The wind was light but looked like it was on the increase. I decided on a kayak to Pelican Island in Tuggerah Lake and then a paddle/play in The Entrance channel.


Pelican Island is part of Wyrrabalong National Park. This national park runs along the coastline in sections then covers the islands in Tuggerah Lake. It must be difficult to manage!


The paddle out was a bit bumpy due to a slightly increasing wind but drop off when I reached the sheltered side of the island. I was planning a walk but the vegetation was too thick and where it was sparser there were a lot of birds that I didn't want to disturb.


Back to the channel I followed the southern side and had a fun time passing sightseers and fishermen.



One fellow pointed out that there was a large sting ray just ahead of me. Thanks, I got some nice underwater shots of it.


In the centre of the channel are a number of sand banks where birds tend to congregate.



A fun 4.19km kayak.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...