Wednesday, March 2, 2016

PELICAN ISLAND KAYAK - 2 MARCH 2016

It is officially Autumn but the weather is still hot and will remain so for a while. A beautiful sunny day again. Sometimes, it becomes a worry when there are so many days without rain.


I drove to the Woy Woy channel and launched the kayak off a small sandy beach into clear calm water.


It was only a short paddle across the channel to Pelican Island but it was a world apart from the manicured urban other side of the channel. With in a short time, I came across an ibis foraging in the mangrove shallows for food.


A little further along the island is spilt in two by a narrow channel which enters into a shallow and wide bay. I paddled through and across the bay with pelicans, cormorants and ducks on the water and large flocks of sulphur cockatoos flying overhead.


I paddled around the island close to shore where there was water deep enough to navigate. In addition, a short distance from the shore the island is surrounded by oyster farms.


Towards the end, There was a small beach on the channel apex of the island. there were a number of birds here and the water was very clear. A speed boat passing by caused waves which broke on the shallow sand banks of the beach giving off a nice surfing wave type effect.


Back to the van and feeling good though a little sore on the rump from the 3.44 km paddle.

Afterwards, I drove to Terrigal Haven for a swim and a paddle on my new surfboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...