Sunday, November 18, 2012

CENTRAL COAST - Brisbane Water - Kincumber Broadwater - kayak - 11 november 2012


I launched from Sorrento road in Empire Bay to kayak around Kincumber Broadwater.



The tide was with me so it was an easy paddle along Cockle Channel towards the entrance of the Broadwater. There was an interesting small mangrove island which divides the channel into two. The water was shallow along the island shores making for clear viewing of the underwater world.

The entrance to the Broadwater was relatively narrow with a number of boats, houses and places to launch. I veered to the eastern side where there was a variety of birdlife. I just drifted with the current and enjoyed the show.

Further along, I came across to small tributaries and one larger one. I paddled up all three. The smallest was shallow and difficult to paddle due to the mangroves. I tended to pull myself through rather than paddled.

The second one passed a mobile home area.

The third was wider and much longer. I passed houses, industrial areas, jetties in the wider section. The narrower section passed between mangroves with closely encroaching urbanisation. Still, there were lots of ducks and lizards and unfortunately dumped rubbish. It is amazing how plants and animals survive under these conditions. Despite the rubbish it was still pretty.

On the journey back, I stopped at a small island in the Broadwater and rested and watched the world go by.

It was a good kayak with pretty scenery and birdlife.

 

Distance               9.12 km

Time                      2 hours 51 minutes

Av speed             4.4 km/h

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...